A mob move left eight dead and many injured during a rapper's concert at the Astroworld festival in Texas.
"I am absolutely devastated by what happened last night". In a statement posted to social media on Saturday, Travis Scott responded to the drama that unfolded at the Astroworld festival in Houston. After a crowd movement during his concert, eight people died and many spectators were injured.
"My prayers are with the families and all those affected by this tragedy," said the artist, adding to pledge "to work with the community of Houston to help families in need." He also thanked the police and intervention.
An open investigation
In a video posted on Instagram and relayed by the Kultur Twitter account, Travis Scott repeated to be "devastated" and also specified to work in close collaboration with the police who are leading the investigation around this tragedy.
In total, nearly 50.000 people were in the crowd to attend the Astroworld festival where more than 360 police officers and 240 security guards were mobilized. Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner told reporters there were eight dead, aged 14 to 27, and 25 people had been taken to hospital, 13 of whom were still there. Authorities had previously reported more than 300 people having been treated in total, including minor bruises.
Houston police have announced the opening of an investigation to determine the causes of this tragedy, adding that they were examining the video footage of the evening. "We want a detailed account of what happened," said the mayor of Houston.